Everyone wants to protect their assets and it’s important to Daman that our customers’ packages show up on-time and in-shape. Product protection starts with proper packaging. A thorough evaluation of our packaging processes and materials stoked action to improve our system starting this New Year.
Our goal is to improve the integrity of our packages and ensure they are delivered without damage. Achieving this goal helps us all save time, money and resources without the hassle of having to set up returns or replacements.
To make this transition, Daman’s Shipping Team worked with several vendors to find the best solution. Packaging Logic, a local vendor in LaPorte, IN, is now supplying Daman’s upgraded materials which include new boxes, wrapping, caps and fillers. We believe these changes will minimize the likelihood of our customers receiving damaged goods. Customers can be confident that our packages will arrive intact—delivering more peace of mind.
- Daman houses several different box sizes with variable depths to reduce cube size and packaging dunnage (additional space).
- Our new boxes are upgraded from a 200# C singlewall material to 275# C singlewall and ECT 48 BC doublewall materials.
- The materials upgrade makes the packaging more durable, increases the bursting strength (puncture and tear resistance), and offers increased vertical compression.
- The box also features an extended, more durable glue tab to prevent boxes from bursting open at the glue tab.
“These changes were implemented to meet UPS and FedEx enhanced packaging guidelines because of the way they handle packages,” states Brian Schmitt, Sales and Engineering Manager at Packaging Logic, Inc. “In addition, there are potential soft savings for some of the smaller box sizes by reducing the amount of expensive filament tape being used to go around the box in several different directions and the labor associated with it”.
New Wrapping, Caps & Filler
- Wraps and liners have been upgraded to 200#C corrugated material, and now provide better tearing and puncture resistance, especially when stapling the end caps, or in the event the package is dropped.
- The end caps have been redesigned with flaps that offer better performance if dropped on the ends.
- The extra material thickness from the flaps reduces the likelihood that the staples will tear out from the wrap.
- Fillers now have cookie-cuts for easy, clean tearing to ensure an optimal fit when eliminating dunnage in the packaging.
- The new end caps, pictured below, are redesigned for better reinforcement during shipping.
Brian Schmitt states that, “By utilizing the void space on the existing end caps, we are able to design these flaps into that material void without increasing the overall end cap size. It’s there, so why not use it”?
“If only one customer receives a damaged part, that’s too many”, states Mike Linsky, Shipping Manager at Daman. Our motivation is to serve our customers with the highest quality products, even after they’ve endured the rigorous demands of shipping.
The difference may not be obvious, but it’s there and it’s better. We hope you will experience the benefit of these changes. Comments and feedback on the new packaging are welcomed and appreciated. We look forward to serving you better in the New Year!